Building Engineer - Bishop Beale Duncan Management, LLC
Department: Property Management
Division: Facilities Maintenance
Position: Building Engineer
The Building Engineer (BE) utilizes various skills to perform routine preventive maintenance and corrective repair of buildings, industrial systems, equipment, grounds, and the general physical plant. Working under limited supervision, the BE monitors building system operations and performance and utilizes various trade skills such as carpentry, plumbing, electrical, painting, roofing, heating, and cooling.
This position may be responsible for maintaining more than one building and reports directly to the Director of Property Management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
General maintenance, repair and orderliness of the entire facility; supervision of staff, and outside contractors on various projects; controls inventory of parts and equipment; maintains detailed records; ensures compliance with all applicable local codes, regulations, and company directives. Effects repairs including, but not limited to: HVAC/mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, painting, plastering, machine servicing, electrical and roof systems.
Routine duties/tasks include routine inspection and repair of all building systems, equipment calibration, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, repair components, cleaning, supervising, coordinating, ordering parts and materials.
- HVAC Systems – VAV boxes, air handlers, exhaust systems, cooling towers (including water treatment), chiller plants, pumps, and energy management systems
- Access/Security Systems – Access controls, fob entry, electronic/magnetic locks, fire pump, main panel and alarm systems, fire extinguisher, emergency generator
- Plumbing – Water pumps, piping, PRV valves, toilet, sinks, faucets, urinals, and flush valves
- Electrical – Main feed, main breaker, circuits, wiring outlets, lighting, and ballasts
- Doors/Windows – Repair and service locks and hardware, cleaning
- Walls/Floor/Ceiling – Ceiling tiles, carpet, floor tiles, escutcheon plates, fixtures, painting, cleaning
- Elevator – Operations and maintenance, controls, lighting, equipment
- Energy Management – Ensures measures are taken to operate all building systems in the most efficient manner and keep costs at a minimum
- Code/ADA – Review physical plant for code/life safety issues and develop and implement solutions
- Cleaning/Janitorial – Maintain cleanliness of building including common areas, engineering rooms, vacant tenant spaces, roof, restrooms, grounds, parking, landscaping, and bordering sidewalks; empty waste cans as needed
- Work Orders – Prompt completion of PM and tenant work orders within 24 hours using Corrigo to track requests, time, and materials
- Customer Service – Provide the highest quality of service to tenants and guests
- Special Projects – Organize and supervise renovation and improvement initiatives
- Tenant Build-Outs – Coordinate design, costing, construction, and completion
- Move-in/Out – Coordinate tenant move-in and move-outs
- On-call Status - Maintain 24-hour on-call, respond to calls for urgent service
- Record-Keeping - Maintain building operations and repair logs
- Regulatory - Enforce building rule and regulations as necessary
- Appearance - Comply with dress code and building requirements
- Relationships - Develop a good working relationship with tenants and contractors
**Some duties may be performed through the hiring and effective supervision of specialty trade contractors. Other duties shall be performed by this position as assigned.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
The BE applies advanced skills in performing job duties and may adapt procedures, techniques, tools, materials, and/or equipment to meet special needs. Duties and tasks involve standard and non-routine functions and resolves most issues without assistance and refer only the most complex issues to higher levels. Works under minimal supervision while periodically assists in orienting and training entry-level employees. Observes, supervises, and inspects vendor work and reports deficiencies to the Director of Property Management.
Maintains working knowledge of vendor contracts and scope of work for all service providers. Requires basic knowledge of financial terms and principles, analytical skills, and the ability to calculate costs, percentages, square feet, and volume. The BE must be able to use a computer, smartphone, and tablet in the work environment.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- HS diploma, GED, or equivalent, plus vocational training and 3 years facilities/building experience required
- Ability to work independently and solve problems with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of commercial building systems, HVAC, chillers, cooling towers, water treatment, fire, life safety systems/protocols, code requirements, electrical, plumbing, elevators, building access controls, and roofing systems.
- Energy management systems experience desired; Trane tracer experience a plus
- Reliable transportation and must have valid driver’s license; no DUI or DWI
- Ability to lift 1-50 lbs., to bend, stoop, kneel, crawl, climb ladders, prolonged standing
- Moderate level computer skills required, MS Office experience preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills; must function as part of the overall team
- Required to work indoors/outdoors in varied temperatures (heat/cold), around dust, moving machinery, mechanical and electrical, sometimes in enclosed spaces
- Working hours: Mon thru Fri, 7am–4pm (schedule may vary, after hours/weekends)
- Salaried position work hours may exceed 40 per week on a regular basis
- On-call 24 hours/day
- Inspecting/Repairing/Troubleshooting/Coordinating/Supervising = 70%
- Administrative/Paperwork/Office = 20%
- Tenant/PM/Owner Relations and Meetings= 10%
** Percentages shown are approximate.
- F/T; health Insurance; paid vacations/holidays; SIMPLE program w/employer match
- Performance incentives; work/life balance; advancement opportunities
- Fast paced/rewarding
Send resumes to the following: